Monday, September 22, 2008

Empty It

Not a whole lot of worthwhile stuff in the heart.  I've gotta admit that whatever Adam and Eve screwed up, I've always been willing to take it to a new level.  Let me explain why I always seem like I love vice:

I don't love vice.  But I love what I think I must look like when I'm running my hands through my hair and being the picture of cool misery.  I just think I'd fit right in with Edward Hopper's classic painting The Nighthawks.  Alienation.  It's probably a reaction against loneliness.  I pretend I love being alone and get so caught up in it that I stop feeling so lonely and stick with a smooth low.  One of the sadder reactions against discomfort.  It's not drugs, but it's basically shooting up cool.

One of the better moments of my time in Rwanda was when I went to a junky little dive and met this Rwandan guy with a French name that I can't remember.  He was lonely and drinking to fight it.  He stated openly that he had AIDS.  And a kid who didn't have AIDS.  And people just left him there to suffer and try to save himself from his pain.  And I gave him my email address and walked away because I couldn't do more since I couldn't understand him well enough to find him again.  I wonder what a ministry to the lonely looks like.  Probably like every other ministry but more obviously loving.  Everybody just wants it - love.  We all feel marooned and pretend we want something else.  No wonder those are the only commandments - loving God and loving people.  It's the only thing worth offering.  Without it, everything else we've got's meaningless, right Paul?  Right.

No comments: