Friday, October 24, 2008

Really

I was talking to Josh about how funny it is when people who are really good at something spend all their time doing other stuff that they don't even seem to enjoy.  I don't know if this disease is accompanied by an image problem or just a desire to do something different, but it's just strange.  All the people we've observed that do this aren't as easy to be around as when they're doing what they really care about.

And then there's people like us who don't really know what we care about.  We just like God really well and the stuff we've always liked and new experiences.  No idea what that's going to look like in the future.  Hopefully we can do something useful.  Or just be prepared to do something that's good.

I was thinking about all the cultural stuff that you have to do if you're a missionary.  Speak differently.  Eat differently.  Drink differently.  Express yourself differently.  I think that's part of sanctification, but I think a bigger thing than doing new stuff is giving up old stuff.  The new's coming.  Does it have any room?  And what do people like Josh and Andrew and me do when we don't even understand the old stuff, let alone know how to give it up?  I didn't realize I cared so much about politcal theory until it was smashed in Rwanda.  I didn't realize I cared so much about having personal space until I had to share a small room with two other guys in Long Dorm, one of whom wanted all the space.  It's strange.

So what do I care about?

Really.