Wednesday, September 2, 2009

In Suriname, by Providence

In Suriname, by Providence, my restive strength was beached.
What was the lesson, Providence, You fore-ordained to teach?
I seek to own, by charity, whatever You bestow
For all from You is charity, since You came here below.

Pray, break me through, Omnipotence, that I no longer dream
Of aught but You Omnipotent; remove my optic beam.
When all that's left is faithfulness, Your own image divine
Will fly forth from my faithfulness, because it is not mine.

So I will aid in Suriname as acts Your church commutes,
Until, when they say "Suriname," I hear Your attributes.

And yes, that is a Shakespearean sonnet in iambic heptameter.

3 comments:

Cal and Karen Armstrong said...

Me thinks me likes its.

Ben said...

Until, when they say "Suriname," I hear Your attributes.--Awesome!

We need to schedule a time soon when we can actually talk over Skype. Miss you Conner!

Princess of Dictionopolis said...

Conner, I really really enjoy this. Excellent. I find myself coming back and reading it every time I visit to see if you have a new post. :)