Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Modern, Christian Teacher

The modern teacher, particularly the modern, Christian teacher, is presented with a number of frustrations which, in a light mood, he would like to call "opportunities." I refer neither to "teachable moments" nor to mishaps when I speak of these opportunities. Rather, I call up the moments when the teacher has a solid glimpse of the student as a person.

To the materialist teacher, this is a frustration because, he believes, people are merely what they do, and the people he teachers do more, or at least other, than learn. The frustration of uncertainty in his role then presents itself, though perhaps it is to him like Harvey is to Jimmy Stewart, visible to no other.

I can see this materialist teacher in my classroom, wearing my face, assuming that sarcasm is an acceptable response to a student's ignorance. The student responds not by learning but by emoting. Is he a student or a person? The answer, of course, is "yes."

Struggling constantly with my materialistic and natural self, I, the modern, Christian teacher, am presented with far deeper frustrations at the recognition of humanity in my pupils. I must first see the inherent wonder of the image of God. Like a coin at the mint, these students bear the picture of their King, and I, like the worker at said mint, hope and strive to sharpen that image. What a fearful trade!

As I wonder at the teacher's role in this process, I think particularly of one history student whose ability to reason has increased magnificently, and I bow to Giver of all good things for His work in that young man's mind. If only the existence of valuable gifts led to an eternal glory...

The modern, Christian teacher see many frustrations in the personhood of students because they are fallen. Sloth, impatience, self-righteousness, and incontinent faith appear in my classroom daily, and not always at the small desks. The depravity of students coupled with a still regenerating teacher causes great heartache.

I recall the first day I taught. Mockery in the name of "cool" occurred just meters from where I stood, and I felt a deep resentment that I could do little more than cause a temporary halt. The human students picked back up at lunch.

The trough of depravity, so tenebrous and wicked, is also a wonderful challenge to the modern, Christian teacher, for he knows of the redemptive power of Jesus Christ. Fighting as Bunyan's Christian with Apollyon, we push ever into the darkest hearts, never missing an opportunity to show a biblical response to our subject matter. Our goal is that of Christ in 1 John 3--the forgiveness of sins and the destruction of the devil's work. I have seen the dead come to life this year.

The modern, Christian teacher's story is little different from any other with frustrations. It is only in the ordeal that the victor is proven. It is only in the tumult that opportunity lies. It is only with the will of the Father, by the grace of His Son, through the working of His Spirit that these opportunities are realized.

No comments: