Tuesday, August 25, 2009

How graceful should I be with myself?

I remember a speaker at the Catalyst conference last October saying something about how, "If we are going to give God the glory for everything good, why do we always blame ourselves for something bad?"  I've not fully digested this question, yet, but I'm going to try to consider it via blog.

The reason I ponder it is because of my classes.  They haven't been bad.  They've actually been pretty good for the most part.  But I do have some students who don't speak English very well, and I get a lot of blank stares every time I explain an assignment (usually for the fourth or fifth time).  If they're not understanding what I'm saying when I give instructions, I wonder what they are understanding the rest of the time I'm teaching.

And I find it a little hard not to blame myself for it.  Maybe I'm just not good at explaining things.  Maybe my assignments are not good for high school students.  They sound easier than college stuff and seem to still force thought, but it just doesn't seem to get through.  But I know God could make people understand what I'm saying.

I just wonder, if I'm to give God the glory for everything good, what should I do with everything bad?  I know blaming Him is wrong.  Maybe I should just lift it before Him more.  Pray more.  Care more beforehand and less afterwards.  Reminds me of something from the "Worldview and Life" conference:

"For us, there is only the trying.  The rest is not our business."
-T. S. Eliot

No comments: