Tuesday, March 3, 2009

With A Little Help From My Friends

The Beatles -
"What do I do when my love is away?
Does it worry you to be alone?
How do I feel by the end of the day?
Are you sad because you're on your own?
No, I get by with a little help from my friends."

Amy's in Acapulco until April 23, and that's just downright strange. Not as strange as when I was in Rwanda and she wasn't around, but nearly. I'm so glad my friends are around. We've taken several late late night runs to the local "open all nite" establishment and made a video and just goofed off a lot in the past week, and I owe a lot to these guys. They're not making me avoid the recognition that Amy's gone, they're just trying to help me realize that there's a lot of other stuff going on in the world. It's a darned good perspective to have.

I remember, when Josh and I were rooming together, I'd get back from a long talk with Amy at 12:30 in the morning, and all I'd want to do was gripe and sleep. He always wanted to stay up and run around the dorms and do all sorts of things that people who are less than eight hours away from their first class of the morning should not do. But I almost always went along with him, mostly because he'd make me feel bad if I didn't, and I always was more able to look reasonably at whatever was upsetting me.

I think that's part of why we have other people around. God let's us see that all the stuff we're worried about isn't so terrible after all. Maybe, just maybe, we can even see, thanks to our friends, that there's Something much more important.

That said, I still miss Amy like crazy.

No comments: